As They Grow Up

A journal marking the milestones of our children.

A vacation is grand isn't it! We went camping Friday to Sunday, and then up to Glen Miller (in Quinte West, just outside of Trenton) Monday to Friday.

Camping:
We went up to Conestogo Lake and had a wet and wonderful time. We checked in on Friday and had great weather. Our across the way neighbours announced ever so kindly that it's supposed to rain all weekend, and we refused to believe it until we saw it. Unfortunately we did.

Saturday morning, we went to the playground by the lake again, and planned to go to the beach after lunch. We went back to out camp site, and as lunch was cooking, the sky began to darken, and the wind began to pick up.

At about 1:30 the rain began. No swimming, but rain dancing an option! :) We crawled in the tent, and Kanga had a nice nap. 4:00 she woke up and the kids watched a movie (2? I don't remember) on the portable DVD player. Then Monkey and I played checkers, then he played with Matt. Then he wanted to play with me again, and as it was supper time, we had a decision to make. I voted to go into Listowel to get McDonalds as we could use some time out of the tent to stretch out legs. Not real camping I know, but necessary for 4 people in a tent all afternoon.

In we went and found a new movie. When we got back the DVD player wouldn't go, so we listened to Harry Potter for a bit until the kids fell asleep. We roasted some marshmallows in the rain first, and that was fun. Matt kept the coals hot all day just incase the rain stopped for a campfire.

It stopped raining sometime in the night, and we woke up dry although I can't say the same for the air mattresses and tent floor! We got everything packed up, and then I used a towel from the swimming bag to mop up the floor as best as I could. We were on the road by 8 to my surprise! Apparently Matt figured that when Kanga woke up at 6:30 we should all just get up and going! Makes sense, but early start! :)

Kanga didn't sleep too well, and thus didn't sleep on her air mattress (playpen didn't fit), she slept better the second night and was a daddy suck both nights. I slept great! I went to bed when I was tired, and didn't have the option of a TV to drone me to sleep (other wise known as keep me awake with the flickering screen), so I fell asleep soundly and only had Kanga to distract me. Love it!

Stop 2 Glen Miller!
I ♥ Glen Miller and I'll say it till the cows come home, or rather I get there and am happily living in my cottage like home, with my big back yard and the river to lul me to sleep. Okay, I have set my heart on a certain property, that will not be mentioned after this because my husband thinks I'm crazy for telling people (read 2) and getting my emotions involved.

If you've read or heard of "The Secret" however, you will understand that I believe in positive thinking bring you what you need and want. I went up there with the thought in mind to live in a certain area, and this property happened to be there. I will think positively that it will be mine! :)

Anyway, the vacation! I always love going up to visit Matt's brother as they have such a wonderful place. A nice home, a big back yard, and the canal right across the street. Forest in the back yard, conservation area within walking distance, and 2 great puppies! Not to mention they're great company! ;)

Monday we arrived a little before supper around 3 I think. We hung out, caught up and got everything set up for the week. We hit the beds early, and I slept wonderfully although Kanga was again not sure of her surroundings. Daddy suck once again. It was weird to have Monkey downstairs in the basement. This is the first time that he has had his own room to sleep in while we visited. Usually we break out the air mattress (always in the trunk for sleeping convenience) but this time he got to sleep in his cousin Jessica's bed, while the rest of us hunkered down in Zack's room (thanks!).

Tuesday we hit the beach. It was Amanda's only day off and we had a wonderful time. There was a great shallow area on the bay that they showed us, and Kanga was doggy paddling. Yes she was swimming on her own a little bit. She would crawl until she couldn't any more and then go a bit further before she sunk and I had to grab her up again. She thought it was the best! Not so great at back floats though and the panicked look on her face was only there the first time she sunk. Then it was a great game! What a kid!

Monkey went swimming with Matt and Zack, and Jason for a bit. Then he came in to play with Kanga, Amanda and I. Monkey had a riot playing with the big kids and once I convinced him to swim with his t-shirt on because we forgot his swimming shirt, he was good to go!

Wednesday, Matt, Monkey, Kanga, and I went to the airforce museum to check out the new planes that they were working on. They have done a lot of work in there! Monkey loved looking at the planes, and Kanga hung out in her Mei-Tai baby back pack style!

Thursday we hiked over to the "big rock" and Monkey got a huge kick out of it! Kanga back packed it again and fell asleep shortly after we got to the park. I don't think she saw the big rock! :) Oh well, we had a great hike and then headed back to chill out some more.

Friday we headed back home again. I miss it already. The closer we got to home, the more I wanted to turn back. Oh well, the count down is on!

1 comments:

Sounds like you had a good vacation! Not sure when I'm going to take mine or where I'm going to go yet! Still have lots of time to decide!

AmandaK5 on Facebook

About Me

My photo
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
I have a son, Monkey, who is 13 and in grade 7, and a daughter, Kanga, who is 8 and in grade 2, and kiddo Skylark who is 4 and will be starting JK in the fall.

Followers