EC (Elimination Communication). Infant Pottying. I was a sceptic when Monkey was young, and found out about the idea when he was about a year. We tried (him and me) to find a pattern, signals, etc. for about a week with absolutely no success. I figured this isn't going to work for us; we'll try again in 6 months. Then another six months, another, and when success was obtained his daycare robbed him of it by sticking him in a diaper when he didn't need it at nap. This same diaper would be left on all day. Dry or not, what was wrong with his underwear!? That said, I stopped sending diapers and he decided he was trained at 3. February 2nd to be exact.
Kanga seems to be a different story. In preparation for a discussion seminar, I did some research on Thursday. I tried to catch a few pee's and poo's on Friday, and caught about 4. That got me thinking that this may just work. She's a whole lot younger, so she doesn't fight, and so far when I say "go potty" she tries her darndest to get that big hug, excited good girl response, and a dry diaper to boot! Now for a little explanation.
EC is a process by which the mother (and caregivers i.e. BOTH parents, siblings, babysitters, etc.) listen to the infant. Yeah, listen. A baby will tell you when s/he is hungry. A baby will tell you when s/he is tired. A baby will tell you when s/he needs a clean diaper. And yes, a baby will tell you when s/he needs to go! It is just one more thing to listen too, and once you figure out his/her schedule (not the one you want, their natural one), you feed, sleep, potty at around the same times!
Today Kanga had only 2 wet/dirty diapers. She went potty in the morning for her "big" poo, pee several times, caught her afternoon "big" poo again, and caught her little pee's thereafter while at my friend's. I missed one when I got home and was getting the kids ready for bed, and the second one while tucking Monkey into bed and she was relaxing in my room. Still, that's a pretty good success rate, and frankly, this is easy! I know it's not always going to be, but so far I think we can really do this! Too cool. Nature prevails again!
Posted by
MommyAmandaK


0 comments:
Post a Comment